16.6.10

Day 17 - Hauling on the Halyard

It's done. It's up. We are sailing 5 knots in almost no wind. The stitches are holding. I don't know when we will try the reef points. I have fixed our primary method of propulsion! My fingers are worn from it, but I hardly seem to notice. I had my sailing gloves on while sewing, so just the tips are a bit raw and callous. I didn't count the stitches; didn't want to. Now I am curious though. The good side is that I now can spend my whole day with Poseidon. The bad news is (ok so not really bad, but just a new stage), he may be just as happy with his aunt and cousin. Ahhh...at least I will always be the favorite and fixer of boo-boos.

In spending time with him, he stepped on my foot. The blister popped. (It had grown to half-foot size.) So, the painful irrigation with the spare battery water (distilled) followed my meticulous cutting off of the skin. This is not on my list of recommended ways to spend a Tuesday evening. Or, really spend any evening for that matter. Our trusty first aid kit has an amazing new pad that you put on burns. It started out last night a jelly-like substance, and is now a couple of sheets of plastic dressing with almost what looks like bubble wrap in it. Once I am done writing here, it's off to make pancakes for me, followed by more irrigation/bandage change. Sounds fun right?

We are at the point where we could possibly see land on the second watch tonight. I have mixed feelings about that. This adventure has been amazing; I don't want it to end. I feel like we have just now nailed down all the problems with systems, and want more time to relax...then again, daily hot showers, milk shakes (I need to rig these on the boat somehow) and fresh fruits are much anticipated by us all. Apparently our crew is craving wonder bread and cheese slices. Sorry, I tend to have acceptably healthy food around. By acceptably I mean that you recognize and know the food without having to spend all of your time at a farmers' market, yet less processed than most households (I think).

Alright, off to breakfast before the crew turns cannibal on me.

Posit: 22 23.144N 154 22.771W

No comments:

Post a Comment