11.6.10

Day 11 - Generator Gods hate hubris

After running fine for hours yesterday, it won't start today. I don't know what kind of gremlins are living in this thing, but it it not on my list of favorite engines ever created. Silly German engineering...who would name an engine company after a panda bear anyway...

Alright, rant aside, we do have the engine and enough diesel to keep running from this point. So, we should stay in contact (barring any HF radio issues).

Overall a fairly uneventful day, save the generator not starting right as I sat down to write this. We will see what else we can do with troubleshooting, but options are getting slim. We have basically re-built the entire salt-water cooling system and the exhaust system. The thing keeps getting overheated exhaust temperature. I am down to guessing either the thermocouple needs replaced (is just reading wrong) or there is a bigger problem with the oil flow through the heat exchanger causing the entire unit to run hot. Not so fond of the second answer though. The oil temp at the heat exchange inlet is fine (at least it is cool enough to not cause a shut down). Oil is fine in color, so after the last manifold bleed, think we are good there.

Okay. Engineering vent done. :) Thanks for listening.

Poseidon has been spending a lot of time with Daddy; which they both enjoy. However, both Poseidon and I have been missing each other on a 50' boat. I guess I am more attached to spending time with the little man than I realize or admit at times. It feels so nice to be working on something, but I keep thinking of him at the same time. I love being the mom. So, I will sign off now and go back to caring for him for a few more hours before I cook dinner.

Posit:

No comments:

Post a Comment