1.7.13

Day 8 - Waxing Poetic

You knew it was coming. I had to remake a batten box on the main. Luckily it was the first one, so we were able to keep sailing. Unluckily, it was the first one, so we were able to keep sailing. Boaters will understand this. My feet are sore from trying to keep balanced against random protrusions while not getting beaten up excessively by the sail. Anytime I work topside, I tend to reflect while working:

I love being on the water. Watching the endless blue just go gliding by when under sail...feeling the salt air. Laying out in the cockpit soaking up the sun and watching the swells in front of the rainbow sunrise. How do people not love this life? Playing on the foc'sle with Poseidon and Laralei. Watching a movie with water slapping the porthole as we are keeled over and the swells are hitting that far up. Spotting birds and naming them as they fish alongside a few days, and maybe even eat our scraps.

And the repairs. I know people who loathe, and go to great lengths to avoid, underway repairs. I love fixing things, maybe that is why I started a boat maintenance business. Which, by the way, now has a shop for those of you whose boats we don't already work on. (http://shop.poseidonmarinemanagement.com) Sail repair is a simple chance to let my mind wander, and appreciate the finer points of sailing. Sometimes drifting to trim scenarios, others to improving rigging design. Working on the interior systems, electric to water to engine...at least, when I can get my Love to give up his turn on them. The only problem with two engineers in the family: Who gets to fix it? In the end it doesn't really matter as the other one gets to play with the children. Or, try to force them to finish some school work. :)

I can't wait for the day when we have enough people running the day to day business that we can do as much of this as we want!

I am going to go have a cup of coffee on the bow.

Cheerio!

Position at Writing: 31.18.904N 151.53.926W @1916 20.6.13

P.S. Less than a week now until Poseidon turns four!

No comments:

Post a Comment