26.6.13

Day 3 - Drawing the Short Straw

G-ma and I on watch at 0230, enjoying the pretty stars and waiting for the wind to shift. The wind was refusing to comply with the weather map stating that it should really let us turn ENE. We finally got the break, and at 4.5kts in 8kts of wind, we tacked. G-ma has never done this before, but we made it look good. At least to anyone watching us in the middle of nowhere at 0230. We steady out, and I start in on my favorite part, trimming sails...the part that helped us win the San Diego beer cans two years in a row. (I had to do something while Mark was deployed years ago.) And then the wind decided to die...like 1.2kts die. To add to that it went all fluky and could not pick a direction. So, following our mesmerizing (tongue in cheek for those who don't know me) tack, we performed a stellar furling of the jib. Why the short straw? We were stuck turning on the engine. All night. At least it is running better than ever after our overhaul in Hawaii. It is just not quiet sailing. Oh, well. So, now that you have the night-time reindeer games...

Poseidon and Laralei had completely forgotten that they had been sick. They were everywhere, both inside and out. After a breakfast of clif bars, because Mark and I were hungry and no one else was up, so that is what everyone else got too, they sat around in the cockpit reading. Poseidon requested the "leaf man" book, which of course was the only one that is lost somewhere within 50 feet. Laralei settled for her fairy stories, and Poseidon listened in while requesting Ninjago. We made it to snack time that way, and then went in to play legos. Laralei has a card addiction. Any type. She collects them all. Her animal flash cards have been joined by Poseidon's addition cards, my old deck of playing cards and numerous other types that come with everything from Chima characters to Happy Meal toys. We spent the late afternoon going through them endlessly. Counting. Shapes. What color is that? etc. Only, she wanted to keep doing the same 15 again. And, she can sign again. So, she knows that you know what she wants. Yeah.

I did make it through 100 pages of Guns, Germs and Steel sitting watch alone out in the cockpit for most of the mid afternoon. I have a great tan, and wish I could keep it for my next competition. Anyone know of one in the San Diego area mid-July? About working out...getting from one end of the boat to the other is a workout. And, it takes a few days to acclimate. So, tomorrow will be my first day of structure. How do you think handstand pushups in the companionway sound? Back to the book, though, I think I may use it as the basis for the kiddos syllabus. It is a great linear view of history covering the world as a whole, with a scientific underpinning, and I can just branch off into the classics and time pieces as we hit them. I have been looking for a good consistent string to attach everything else to, and this may be it.

Well, back to my morning coffee and a work day you will have to wait until tomorrow to read about. Tuesday is housekeeping day. :)

Position at Writing: N26.48.192 W158.55.395 @0846 25.6.13

No comments:

Post a Comment