8.5.10

Thrid Watch... (07.09 through 06.05.10)

Since our 3rd watch has been keeping me on my toes, and up during the night watch at times, I am only going to give a quick update here. Then, I will try going back to weekly on Sunday mornings.

The first month. Most of this time was spent aboard the Tartan, and with room to spare. The biggest difficulty was determining where to put Poseidon's small rocker that more resembled a hammock than a chair. However, it was obvious that moving out of the 37' boat would become essential in the future. I would venture that all would be okay until he needed space to crawl, though we could easily play around the marina if needed. Perhaps essential is the wrong word. Could he be raised on the Tartan, yes. Would it require more sacrifice than my husband and I wanted to make, yes. It would have been more cozy and less comfortable than the 50' Shannon.

Since moving onto our gorgeous home. At the time of this writing, he is crawling, climbing, trying to walk; says "Mama" and "hitty" for the cat.  With the wood floors, I am glad I invested in the full sets of foam squares.  They have overtaken our main cabin, and I have reluctantly left them down even when guests visit now.  Climbing onto the chair last night to reach for a stuffed animal was a new one, though we have taken as many off-water opportunities as possible to teach him to crawl backwards off furniture.  It worked...no bumps!  He is sleeping in a twin-sized bunk in the laundry room.  (Yes, I have a washer/dryer in one.  Apparently you are spoiled when you get to this size of 'yacht.')  The lee cloth is always up when he is in bed, as his latest antics include spinning around, half-sitting up and sticking his head against it in the mornings.  I get about two minutes to hear the process before he starts letting me know he is up and wants breakfast more vocally.

On the sailing side, my husband and I have taken her (boat) out with just the two of us.  The cushions put on the cockpit floor work great to keep Poseidon occupied while pulling away from the pier and tacking.  Otherwise, he naps on our rack where we can see him down the hatch.  We took a week trip to Ensenada for Carnival and Valentines Day with friends, and he was a great sport.  Extra hands meant constant attention, and were a happy relief when the delay at the customs pier forced a night-time arrival at the dock.

More to come later so I can keep this short...as we are in final preparations for sailing to Hawaii!  I will cover that Sunday.  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment