24.5.10

5 Days...sounds more melodramatic in my head

I am a chicken with it's head cut off...5 days...ok, 4.5 days...and I still have to finish the stores onload or we all starve half-way to Hawaii.  Actually, the way the boat looks now...maybe we starve tonight.

So, I skipped the post yesterday to work on my stores program.  Yes, I built a program for it.  No, you can't have it.  Maybe when it is done I will post it or sell it or something.  I wish I could do something half-way at times.  It would add hours to the day.  Alas, the program is amazing.  You input your 52 week workout schedule (I know this has nothing to do with sailing, but it's important to me.) and your weight, and then do this for each crew member (Yes, I skipped their workout inputs.)...use the weight you "should" be...feed the body you want.  Then, select items from the downloaded USDA list (think all of those little nutrient labels on cans in one spreadsheet) 7540 exactly.  Though, I did have to add Nutella...oh well.  7541 in mine :)  It fills in the Carbs/Protein/Fat from the items you are using to build the meals, and compares it to your daily and per meal requirements based upon your weight (according to published standards).  Then, it takes your meals and publishes a grocery list.  Next step is to tie it in with MS Access and my Intelliscanner.  I know, people have been sailing for years without this.  But, think of it this way: The British used to eat salted pork and they would run out of that.  Now that Grandma is in town, COSTCO here we come.

As for the little man who is central to the story, he is out with Daddy at West Marine yet again.  Yesterday, they mentioned that they would miss him (and us).  Definitely been there too much lately.  His favorite attraction is the Caribe dinghy display.  The ones with consoles are on little trailers, so I set him in there and let him crawl around the dinghy while waiting for parts at Customer Service. He bangs the side and tries to move the wheel.  I try to figure out how we could fit one on the back of the sailboat.  Yes we have davits and an old Caribe, but these are 12' with fiberglass.  My husband reminds me we are on a sailboat.  I ask him what that has to do with it...

Poseidon's "cruising" (aka walking while holding onto things) has netted him a couple of bumps, a hand stuck under the handle of the sewing machine case, gently smashing his own fingers repeatedly in the trash can lid and a dent in my new bake ware.  At least all appendages are still intact, and he hasn't gouged out an eyeball, and we haven't had to call poison control.  As much as everyone worries about the boat being baby/kid-proof, I am beginning to believe it is much better than a house.  All outlets are above counters or behind latching doors.  All doors latch, some twice.  All drawers must be lifted to pull.  And, the only way out is up.  He won't be able to accomplish that for a long time yet.  Though cat is quite distraught that he can now stand on our bed on tiptoes and reach her bed.  Not quite the quiet nap she had imagined after all.

Alright, enough for now.  Today starts the daily posts.  Tomorrow I will try the auto-post from the sailblog site to here.  I am off to fold laundry and relocate my shoe closet for the medical kit.  Yes, it's a sailboat, and, yes, I have a shoe closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment